Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Viewing Slumdog

I finally saw "Slumdog Millionaire," a new film by Danny Boyle, yesterday evening with a good friend. It was well made, an interesting, Dickens-esque story, somewhat suspenseful, had incredible music...but I don't know if I could bear to see it again. I'll ruin a little portion of the movie's plot now (rather than revealing the secret of the ending) to bring this up: showing kids getting hurt makes me nauseous and makes me feel angry--especially since what is practiced in the film's story actually occurs today in human slavery kinds of situations. It supposedly makes them more effective beggars. I saw evil revealed that I hadn't concerned myself with before, and I'm disturbed--not sure what I'm going to do about it yet either. I don't think it's the sort of thing you can just throw money at. But maybe there is some way to buy people out of slavery. Maybe adoption is an answer? I welcome comments...

No comments: